WELCOME       WALKS       TRIVIA       THEMES       ARCHITECTURE       STATUES       GOING OUT
SHOPPING       TAKE A BREAK      PEOPLE      CALENDAR       LINKS       BLOG      CONTACT

 

Nelson

Admiral Horatio Nelson lived at No 147 in 1797 (it was No. 141 then), after losing his right arm at Santa Cruz. His wife Frances bought medical supplies at chemists Savoury & Moore nearby. England’s naval hero also later lived at two other addresses on the street with his mistress, Lady Emma Hamilton.

147 New Bond Street W1

Royal Arcade

Originally called simply ‘The Arcade’ - check the name over the entrance - the ‘Royal’ was added after Queen Victoria shopped in 1882 with shirtmaker HW (Hodgson William) Brettell. He opened his shop at No12 in 1880, a year after the arcade was built to connect Brown's Hotel to Bond Street.

28 Old Bond Street W1

Sotheby’s Sekhmet

Embedded above Sotheby’s entrance is the oldest outdoor statue in London. The Ancient Egyptian black basalt effigy of the lion-goddess Sekhmet, dates to around 1320 BC, and has been Sotheby’s muse since the 1880s when it was sold at auction for £40 but never collected by the buyer.

34-35 New Bond Street W1

The only road running from Piccadilly to Oxford Street, Bond Street as such does not exist, being two streets. Old Bond Street was built in the 1680s by Sir Thomas Bond and New Bond Street, the stretch further north, was built 40 years later.

Tube: Bond Street

Any comments - or a suggestion for a London secret? Please e-mail me.

Bond Street

Conduit Street

In the 1500s, fresh water was piped in wooden conduits into London from sources outside. Landowners charged high fees for the pipes to pass and Conduit Street is on land bought by the Corporation of London to safeguard the conduits from Tyburn Springs (where Bond Street tube is now) to Cheapside.

Conduit Street W1

Fine Art Society

The Fine Art Society was founded in 1876 to specialise in  British art and design. One of the world’s oldest art galleries, it pioneered the idea of one-man exhibitions, such as American artist James Whistler's Venetian etchings in 1883.

148 New Bond Street W1
Tel: +44(0)20 7629 5116
www.faslondon.com

Roosevelt & Churchill

Called 'Allies', this statue by Lawrence Holofcener was unveiled in 1995 by the Bond Street Association to mark 50 years of peace. After their stand against Nazism in World War II, the two men helped found the United Nations. Churchill’s mother was American and he and FDR were distant cousins.

New Bond Street W1

Atkinsons Carillon

Now a store for Salvatore Ferragamo, this was formerly Atkinsons and the tower – built in 1924 – houses London’s only carillon. This is a set of 23 bells that are tuned to harmonise together and played by a set of levers, like a very large piano. They are played at 5pm on Friday & Saturday during summer.

24 Old Bond Street W1
www.carillons.org/london/

Henry Moore

Four abstract pieces by Henry Moore adorn the Time-Life Building, which also has a bronze – Draped Reclining Figure – by him inside. Put up in 1953, he carved them in his garden. Once they were in place, he asked to buy them back, as he thought the third floor was too high for them to be seen properly.

153 New Bond Street W1

^St_Jamess_Park.html